Monday, June 16, 2008

My Dad


Every year, my dad has to celebrate his Father's Day and birthday together, since they are usually only a couple of days apart. He never complains, though. He just enjoys having the family all together. This year, I thought I'd help celebrate by sharing some special memories and explaining what a blessing God has placed in my life through my earthly father, Mike Padilla.

My dad is a dentist ("Painless Padilla" was the joke), and this job fits him well, as he is a very personable guy. He can talk to just about anyone, and he always puts others at ease. Anyone who meets him comes away smiling and saying how nice he is. For years--before I was born until a couple of years ago, so over 31 years--my dad was a dentist in the Veteran's Administration in downtown Los Angeles. This might not seem very signifigant, except that we always lived south of Irvine in Orange County. My dad would get up at 4:15 or 4:30 and head off to work when it was still dark every morning. He would commute up to Los Angeles and back every day. Getting up early allowed him to be home early too, and he would walk in the door between 5 and 5:30 every day when I was growing up. I don't have many memories of him walking in and talking about his day. He would enter the door, give big hugs, ask all about our days at school, and help my mom finish up the details of dinner.

In fact, he spent his weekends working hard too. I remember well helping him wash the cars, work in the yard, paint, run errands, etc. on Saturday mornings. He would often save Saturday afternoons for family time, and we would all go to the pool, park, movies or somewhere else fun.

Sundays were always about church. My dad set a good example of always going to church. He set attendance at church as a priority above other things. In fact, growing up, he also urged me to be highly involved in church activities such as AWANA, youth group, worship singing, etc. The foundation he laid for me in learning about God was very important. The years he invested in my spiritual health helped me to better understand my need to become a Christian years later, when God called me to repentance.

My dad also taught me some good habits I still have (or strive to have) to this day--being on time, sticking with a commitment you make, working hard with a good attitude, balancing your life with hard work and a sprinkle of reward here and there, being kind to others, and taking the ups and downs of life with hope and trust in God. Of course, I picked up some quirks from my dad too--a love for anything sugary and sweet, a love for television and movies, and the thought that if something is in a neat pile--no matter how many piles I have--it is organized. Ha!


I am so blessed that we live very near my parents. Carter thinks grandpa is hilarious. I think Carter has my dad wrapped around his finger, too. You might see my dad biking around, working out at the gym, gardening in his amazing yard or ushering at church. If you meet him, you will smile and think, "That Mike Padilla is a really great guy!" He is! I love you, Dad!

5 comments:

Seagers said...

How sweet! Thanks for sharing. Since becoming a parent, the gratitude and appreciation that I have for my parents has grown. We are so blessed!

Amy Kaylor Photography said...

What a loving post to a loving man!! He's always made me feel like part of the family. ;o)

Ryan Hawley said...

Thanks, Mike, for doing such a great job raising Chiara. And thanks for bring such a wonderful father-in-law. I really appreciate having such a God-fearing, loving, caring, and generous father-in-law. I really enjoy all of our times together -- and I know Carter does as well.

And I don't know how you did it with that commute. The Mission Viejo to Irvine commute kills me...

Shannon said...

What a sweet post about your dad. :)

Drew & Erica said...

It's so important to have a dad that you can respect and admire. That's so neat!