Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Life not a Season: Growing in the Knowledge of God


I was chuckling to myself the other day as I realized how my life stage is clearly explained by the channel I most frequent on the television. When I was a single adult, I would watch AMC (American Movie Classics) for hours on end, deliciously dreaming of which romantic Gary Cooper God would send into my life. Once I was married, I was obsessed with the Food Network, saving savory recipes to try out on my hubby as I domesticated myself. That was the first year I ever had to diet. A year after we married, we bought a house, and the television was often focused on the HGTV (Home and Garden Television) network. I watched "Trading Spaces" and other shows that taught me how to decorate on a dime, and I memorized the knocking and doorbell sounds on the show "House Hunters". When Ryan and I found out we were expecting our first baby, my attention turned to TLC (The Life Channel) and such shows as "A Baby Story" and "Bringing Home Baby." It might sound like I'm a fickle television viewer, but each stage was accurately framed by some informative and entertaining shows.

This made me think about how much effort I put into my Christian walk during different stages of life. Am I as equally focused on God during seasons of blessings as I am during trials? Do I hunger and thirst for God's Word when life is difficult and when circumstances are fairly smooth? I pray this answer is YES!

Truth be told, there is no season in which God should receive more attention than others. He should always be my priority. I am always to be growing in the knowledge of God. Colossians 1:10 tells us that we should, "live a LIFE worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, and growing in the knowledge of God." (emphasis mine) As this verse demonstrates, there isn't a season to grow and a season to flatline. As Christians, we are clearly told our LIFE is to be pleasing to Him. It is a LIFE to be characterized by the fruit of good works and growth in our knowledge of Him.

Sure it is tempting to say, "I just had a baby. I can let my quiet time fall to the wayside for a bit. It is just a season." Perhaps I stop serving in my church because "Life is so busy right now! God understands, and I'll serve when my time is more free." Another common argument is "I don't have to tithe if we are hurting financially. This is a season to save and cut back." Some even reason away attendance at church. "Work is so busy right now. We need family time on the weekends." All these arguments seem fairly rational in the world's eyes. However, they are not Biblical. For example, God commands us to serve with the gifts He has given. I Peter 4:10 "Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms." It is of utmost importance to be in God's Word and to pray. We are told to gather together with other Christians, especially as we get closer and closer to Christ's return (Hebrews 10:25). God tells us to give sacrificially from a heart that is overflowing with thanks. There is not any prolonged life season to stop these practices.

Next week I might enter a new life season and find myself watching a new television network. However, no matter what stage of life I navigate, may I find myself seeking God's will for me and growing in my knowledge of Him. Living for God is for a lifetime, not a season.

2 comments:

Amy Kaylor Photography said...

So true!! I was thinking how my reading also reflected the seasons of my life. First~Finding The Love of My Life then once I found him how to keep him in The Five Love Languages, Boundaries in Marriage and Love and Respect. Then came Baby Wise and other books like She's Gonna Blow for the horrible toddler plus newborn twin years, The Homecourt Advantage...you get the gist! Now I'm reading books on how to talk about sex and purity with my 9 year old. UGH!! And I'm guessing TV will not help me there, but you are right that God's word is and should always be the constant in my life.

Unknown said...

And me -- ESPN the whole time. Some things never change.

But great point about serving God. Every season of life is a season for serving God