Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Humility in Weakness


Mark 9: 21-25 And Jesus asked his father, “How long has this been happening to him?” And he said, “From childhood. 22 And it has often cast him into fire and into water, to destroy him. But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us.” 23 And Jesus said to him, “‘If you can’! All things are possible for one who believes.” 24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, “I believe; help my unbelief!” 25 And when Jesus saw that a crowd came running together, he rebuked the unclean spirit, saying to it, “You mute and deaf spirit, I command you, come out of him and never enter him again.”

This passage has always been a powerful one for me. This man/father does not have faith. He says, “if you can,” but he desperately wants to have belief in Jesus. He tells Him “Help my unbelief!” Jesus responds and helps because of this man’s desire to believe and his humility before Christ. Do we do the same when we are finding it hard to trust or obey? Do we cry out humbly, “Lord, I want to trust/obey. Help me overcome this sin that is entangling me!” Rather, I think we sometimes try to fix things first or push it back in our minds. We figure we are having a bad day, and we just need time. Our immediate action should always be to fall on our knees in prayer to ask repentance and seek God’s wisdom,strength and help. Would the One who provided Christ for us withhold the tools we need for sanctification and holiness? Thankfully, no. We are grateful!

No comments: