Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Autumn Praise


"That my heart may sing to you and not be silent.
O Lord my God, I will give you thanks forever." Psalm 30:12

There is just something spectacular about autumn. Even the name "autumn" is beautiful. It brings visions of crunching leaves and blazing crimson trees to mind. There are so many things I enjoy about my favorite season. The anticipation of the holidays approaching is always fun. I finally get to put some decorations on the house--leaves cascading over the doorway and a harvest pumpkin in the yard. Chilly air means snuggly clothes and fires in the fireplace in the evening. The end of summer means I can break out my recipes for soups and stews once again, and coffee and tea taste better in the frosty air of morning. Once in awhile, I catch a hint of smoke in the air--someone burning a real, wood fire in their fireplace. Family sees more of each other as we get together for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Sleeping at night is pure happiness, as I can pull all the covers up tight and wiggle into the warmth of bed--unlike the "kick off the sheets" nights of summer. I love the sound of football on the television on a lazy Saturday or Sunday, while cookies bake deliciously in the oven.


Just today, Carter and I paused in Costco to glance at the Christmas trees, which, though early, sent gleeful chills in me. It isn't just the lights and Christmas music, it is everything it promises. It gives us a glimpse of laughter, parties, cinnamon and gingerbread, decorations, and the big, excited eyes of our little ones. Most of all, though, it gives me the joy that is bursting in my heart when I think of the blessings God gives us this season. He gives us the tradition of Thanksgiving, a beautiful holiday given to us by the Christian pilgrims, thanking God for survival, friends and His provision (this they did in a season of much despair, adjustment and, sadly, even death). They knew their Savior had all sovereignty and power. They trusted him, despite their circumstances, and they praised Him for any and all blessings. In the celebration of Christmas, we remember that God gives us the gift of Jesus Christ, who came in human form to live a life of example for us and then sacrificed Himself to atone for our own sins and depravity. He gave us a hope and future when He rose again and went to be with His Father in Heaven.


Thanksgiving and Christmas are joyful because they are foundational on God's promises and the hope we have in Him. If you are facing a hard season in life, look past your circumstances and thank God for the hope of this season. Despite what this year has brought, God has a plan, just as sure as He will give us a glorious, refreshing autumn after the heat of summer. In the flickering glow of the red sky or the soft breeze as it tickles your face, see the fingerprints of your Creator and the love He has for you. Give thanks with a grateful heart.

3 comments:

Ryan Hawley said...

I love the chill of the autumn or winter night when the temperature drops into the low 70's here in Southern California. Brrr, break-out the winter jacket.

Seriously, even in Orange County we do get some seasons. And I agree with you that is an exciting time of year. And also a great time to thank God for the beauty of His creation

Anonymous said...

Nice and cool here in Washington, DC too.

Tall Tale of a Teacher! said...

I just got back from the south...autumn is in full swing back there! What a time to visit! God definitely had out his paint brush!