Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Encourage One Another: Dale and Shawna Thackrah


I was remiss last week and didn't post a I Thessalonians 5:11 entry. I am going to do one early this week to make up for it. The couple I would like to recognize today are Dale and Shawna Thackrah.


Pastor Dale is in charge of the care ministry and does biblical counseling at our church, Compass Bible Church. Shawna, his wife, is a committed member of the worship team every weekend, and she also works with the high school ministry and co-leads a small group in Women's Bible Study. Both are busy for God, investing in people, God's precious flock, and not in the things of this world. "Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things." Col 3:1-2


The love and purpose of Christ are ablaze in their lives. I always find both of them approachable, real and truly caring. They are never too busy for a "hello" or a smile. They never have pretense or an air of superiority. In fact, they are often known for their joy in laughter and never taking themselves too seriously.


I have known Shawna for years, having been in high school youth group together. In all that time, she has always been a sweet and caring individual, always putting others before herself. In fact, she routinely says to me, "I ran into so and so from youth group this week." I have no idea as to whom she is referring. Why? I was a self-absorbed high schooler who was worried about my own recognition, and she was a loving example of Christ, paying attention to others and listening, even in the hard teenage years. "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves." Philippians 2:3

I don't know Dale as well as Shawna, but the fact that his job is Pastor of Care Ministry at our church speaks volumes. I have had the privelege to speak to so many members of our church who were touched by the thoughtfulness of the program he leads. In addition, his biblical counseling has shed light on issues for many friends struggling with the sins of this world. I do know that Pastor Dale always has time to smile and ask how my husband or I are doing. He pours himself out to others and still radiates joy and peace. I can't imagine how busy he and Shawna are, and I often pray for their own care and comfort, from our Heavenly Father, as they feed his sheep.

It is such an encouragement to know this couple and witness their lives. They are truly used by God, and the rewards they are saving up for themselves in heaven are immense. Thank you, Dale and Shawna, for all your sacrifice and time. It is noticed and is influencing so many others!


When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you truly love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. John 21:15-17

4 comments:

Ryan Hawley said...

Way to go Dale and Shawna! We are all blessed to have such a dedicated and loving couple as part of our church.

Sarah Cox said...

Pastor Dale & Shawna, I so appreciate your service to the body of Christ. I know that you are a couple who is CONSTANTLY pouring out for others in the church. You are sacrificing for Him all the time. I know that your rewards in heaven will be tremendous.

Kelly @ The Nourishing Home said...

I had the opportunity and pleasure to speak to Shawna at retreat and she shared such wisdom with me in offering advice about a situation I had with a family member. Thank you, Chiara, for calling them out as true servants of the Lord! You are such an encourager!! Love, kel

ShaWAna said...

I humbly thank you. To God be the glory and may He work through all of us and grow us in our faith! You guys are SO loved!! Oh, and just to clarify, I have stepped down from the high school group. I loved doing that last year but the schedule was too much to handle and still be flexible w/ Dale's schedule. WBS is perfect because we are both gone on the same night! =-) God is so great and so good to use us for His purposes!