Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Encourage one Another (I Thessalonians 5:11): Rose White and Roberta Cleary

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing." 1 Thessalonians 5:11
Once a week or so, I have been trying to encourage people in my life. I use the call of I Thessalonians 5:11 as my motivation, and it has been such a joy and powerful tool--more so than I could ever have imagined. Today's recipients are both working side by side in the classroom hallways of our church. If you have young children and you attend Compass Bible Church, you have been blessed by Rose White and/or Roberta Cleary. Under the talented direction of our Children's Ministry Director, Susan Grover, they cordinate the children's ministries for the early childhood and elementary age children.

What you may not realize is the stress and joy that comes with participating in children's ministries. Having taught elementary school for nine years, I am well aware that working with kids means not only training the hearts of little ones, it means working with fellow teachers, supervisors, and parents. It is not always a job that gives you thanks in equality to your efforts and energy, but it is a job in which you are greatly affecting the lives and hearts of others.

Rose and Roberta work tirelessly to do their job well because they know through it, they are loving the church body and serving our Heavenly Father in every phone call they take, every diaper they change and every baby they hold. "From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work." Ephesians 4:16

Our family has personally been blessed by both of these ladies. We met Rose a few years ago, when she and her husband, Jeff, were a mentor couple in our marriage Bible study. Immediately, I was impressed with Rose's honesty, openness and willingness to discuss real struggles and trials. Ryan and I just loved working with the Whites, so I was ecstatic when Rose took the job as early childhood coordinator for the church. I knew our 19 month old son would be in good care, and I knew that, as a volunteer in the nursery, I would be interacting with a caring and loving sister-in-Christ. As expected, Rose always returns e-mails, always stops by the classroom to make sure I am doing well, always responds to requests and always does her job with every bit of energy she can. She thinks of her own sacrifices rarely, and her thoughts are constantly on the needs of the kids and the volunteers in the classrooms. In all she does, she is humble and always points to the Lord in her efforts and achievements.

Our family met Roberta when we had our son, Carter. Roberta originally had Rose's job (and did an amazing job as well) and more, but as our church has grown, she has moved to the more specific role as our elementary age coordinator. What strikes me most about Roberta is her joy in all circumstances. Though she might be dealing with a difficult situation or have a screaming toddler in her arms, she smiles and radiates God's love. She lives by the truths of I Thessalonians 5:17-18, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." Right away, she got to know our son. Admittedly, he isn't always the easiest child. He needs attention from time to time, and he is either in a GREAT mood or a BAD mood. He has highs and lows and very few in-betweens. Roberta has, on several occasions, taken Carter and strolled him in the stroller through the hallways. She has taken him into the older kid's rooms for music, which he absolutely loves. Her time and attention allow my husband and I to co-lead the Thrive marriage ministry and for me to co-lead a small group in Women's Bible Study. If Carter were not loved and given time from Roberta, it would have resulted in quite a few phone calls to Ryan or I to come retrieve our cranky son. She has no idea how very thankful we are for her individual concern and care for our precious son.

Rose and Roberta work harder than any of us can imagine. I am constantly thinking of how great a reward they are earning in heaven. I want them to know how much I personally appreciate what they do and who they are in our church body. If you have a little one, don't forget to tell them how much their labor has blessed your family and served the church body.

5 comments:

Yvonne F. said...

I agree, that we are sooo incredibly blessed by their labor. Rose and Roberta are perfect in their roles. It's true, Roberta carries on her work with constant joyfulness. And Rose is someone I would gladly pour out my heart to. Praise God for their depth of care toward our children.

Thank you Chiara, again, for stirring us up with gratitude for these godly people in our lives.

Ryan Hawley said...

Rose and Roberta,

Great job! I can't even begin to tell you how much we appreciate what you do. And I know so many others feel the same way.

And for those of you that don't know, Roberta is quite the soccer star...

Anonymous said...

I agree with all that you have said.

ShaWAna said...

I am teary-eyed reading this just because I know these gals and am so thankful, Chiara, for how you expressed your gratitude. I don't have any kids in the kid's ministry but since we are all a family, I can say from my heart just how much I appreciate the ministry these gals have. If you only knew the sacrifices... Praise God that their reward is being stored up with him and that we have the privilege of knowing these amazing women. You girls rock! Their families deserve a great big THANK YOU, too, because they have to sacrifice along w/ their moms/wife, etc.

Sarah Cox said...

Thank you, Roberta & Rose for your faithful service to the Body of Christ.

"God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them." Hebrews 6:10