Thursday, December 27, 2007

Five Years

I love my husband. He is such a joy in my life. When I was looking for God to send me my future husband, I had a list of ideals in my head. Ryan is better than any man I had determined in my imagination.


December 28th is our anniversary. We were married five years ago. I had always wanted to get married near Christmas, with evergreens all around, twinkle lights in all the trees, and red (my favorite color) decorating everything. My affinity for Christmastime led to some issues--a very stressful December, high priced floral arrangements, and a difficult time finding an inside venue for up to 200 people.


However, my memories are not of all the difficulties. I remember how Ryan and I both were shaking with emotion in the church, the glow of the little chapel we chose in which to get married, how sweet he was in helping with all the details, and the absolute joy I felt on the day he graciously became my husband. He and I both were looking to face a "hard first year", as people warned us, but we never really did. We had adjustments to make, but perhaps getting married at 28 and 29 years old had prepared us for some bumps in the road. Having the Lord as the foundation of our marriage has kept the tempests or trials from causing too much harm.


The past five years have been a true, wonderful answer to my prayers. We have enjoyed traveling all over Europe, the United States, Mexico and Costa Rica. We have nested in our first house and made our home a place we love to be. We have been blessed with a little boy who is so much like his father, and I am so glad! May he grow up to be as loving, honest and thoughtful as his dad. We have been very involved in attending and serving in our church body, and I have loved every minute of watching Ryan lead and grow in his relationship with God.


God is so very good! I know that every blessing is from above (James 1:17), so the wonderful husband that I have is a gift from my loving Heavenly Father. Thank you Lord for Ryan and all the events you have placed in his life to make him the man he is today. May I never take this gift for granted and may I always submit to both him and You. Happy anniversary, Ryan! You are an amazing husband, and I love you tremendously.

7 comments:

Ryan Hawley said...

Wow! Thanks, babe! I am not sure I am all that you mentioned, but our first 5 years have been amazing. It is wonderful how God brought us together. You are the perfect example for me of James 1:17 -- of how every good gift is from above, and I thank God so much for you.

You are kind, generous, thoughtful, hard-working, a great mother, and an amazing wife. Thank you so much for 5 great years!

Love,
Ryan

Amy Kaylor Photography said...

Awww...you guys are too cute. I feel the same way about Todd! He is by far a better husband than I am wife and I'm SO thankful that I waited upon God's timing. There were other fish in the sea along my way, but none like my King Salmon as I always like to say. We are a great example to our children to not be impatient when it comes to getting married. Todd was 34 and I was 29!! Happy Anniversary!!!

Shannon said...

Happy Anniversary you guys! Thanks for being a great example of a godly marriage for the rest of us :)

Tall Tale of a Teacher! said...

Happy Anniversary! Hope you guys took some time to be together and enjoy one another!

Drew & Erica said...

Congrats you two! Hope you had a wonderful anniversary and we're looking forward to seeing you and the rest of our small group soon!

Kelly @ The Nourishing Home said...

Happy anniversary! You two are such an inspiration to all of us in Thrive! May God bless you with many, many more happy years together!!!

The Stephens Family said...

I hope you had a great anniversary.