Saturday, December 1, 2007

Spotlight on Jesus


"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!
Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father." Philippians 2:5-11

I recently read an article in the paper about a woman who was "sidelining" Christmas this year. She grew up a Catholic/Buddhist due to the mixed religions of her parents, and she believed that the ideas of Santa and gifts (what she considers the "Christian" aspect) aren't as noble as the mission of Buddhists at this time of year--peace on earth/general goodwill for mankind. Therefore, she wasn't celebrating Christmas with the commercial trees, gifts, etc. She was going to celebrate family and friends on Christmas Eve by just being together. My heart was just aching as I read this story, because she was missing the foundation for Christmas. She was comparing two man-made and human-focused ideas and seeing which measured better on her "moral" scale. She didn't even mention Jesus Christ and the hope He brings to mankind.

As true Christians and followers of our Lord Jesus Christ, this season of the year should not be merely the worldly celebration of Santa Claus, parties, lights, cards, cookies, trees, and gifts. There is nothing wrong with having these be a PART of your Christmas, but the world should see that we have a more noble cause to celebrate. A more prominent focus should be our SAVIOR, who came to earth in the form of a human so that He could live a perfect life for us, could be a perfect sacrifice in place of us to pay for the punishment of OUR sins, and could rise to life again to conquer death for us and ensure the hope of our eternal life with God in Heaven.

As Carter is getting older, I want to make sure this message is crystal clear to him. We have received two invitations to birthday parties for Jesus this December. I am impressed at the creative way my friends are pushing Jesus to the forefront of Christmas in their homes. Ryan and I want to also take the focus off US and OUR enjoyment. We are trying to think of ways to serve others and to point to Christ. Instead of toys or chocolates, Ryan put scripture focusing on Jesus in our advent calendar doors. We are scaling back on the gifts we are giving among the three of us, and we are giving Christ-focused Christmas CD's we burned to all of our neighbors. My Bible study co-leader had a great idea of buying Feed the Children donations and letting our small group know we all are paying to feed two children this year in lieu of our Christmas gifts we would normally buy for the group. In our Thrive group, we are sending care packages to soldiers who are family members of Thrive attendees. In addition, Pastor Dale is letting us know some families within our church that we can bless with donations, food, gifts and scripture this Christmas.

With all this, I still worry that the worldly focus of Christmas will overtake our true celebration. I know how creative you all can be. I'd love to hear how you put a spotlight on Jesus at Christmastime when you were growing up, in your family now, or in church activities. Are there any traditions you would like to start that you haven't put into practice quite yet? The true joy of this season belongs to Christians. Give praise and thanks. Our Lord has Come!

“Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests.” Luke 2:14

13 comments:

Amy Kaylor Photography said...

Ever since I can remember, our family has prepared Aebleskivers on Christmas Eve. It's a round type pancake cooked in special pans and it's always been a treat for our family. This year I am sharing the tradition with the Kaylor's for the very first time. Also, we only give our kids 3 gifts for Christmas...the same number Jesus received...and it's not like they are getting 3 BIG gifts by any means. Merry Christmas!!

Seagers said...

I was just going to write the 3 gifts idea. Someone told my mom about that, and she shared it with me. I love that idea. If people ask me what I am getting Chase for Christmas, it can be an opportunity to turn the conversation toward Christ. I love it.

Shannon said...

Wow! I have never heard of the three gifts idea--I love it! Although I don't have kids yet, I'm sticking that in my file for future reference. Thanks for sharing.

Rebecca Millsap said...

At home, we never opened our gifts or stockings until all family was present and we prayed. Starting the morning off acknowledging God for the great things He has done really set the focus. We then take turns opening gifts, appreciating each one. :)

ShaWAna said...

Mine is similar to Rebecca's...the whole family sat close to the Christmas tree after having waited for everyone to wake up and get dressed, etc. Then, my Dad would get out the Bible and read the Christmas story from Luke. He would always say a few words and a few of us might share what we were thankful for or something that God had done. Then, we opened presents one at a time (I'm talking at least 10 people), starting w/ the eldest in the room and then that person was able to choose who would get the next present and we would all rejoice with each other because of the gift that was given/received.

Yvonne F. said...

Wow - three gifts! I don't think we give our children more than one gift each (aside from stocking stuffers - do they count?). Love the symbolism in that idea. :)

We also start Christmas day with prayer and reading of the first few chapters of Luke.

Before putting the children to bed we like to sing Christmas hymns and carols and then read them the story behind the carol, or at least a Christmas related story.

We also have a life-like miniature manger that sits empty, except for scratchy-straw, all through December. On Christmas day the children wake up with such joy to find the baby Jesus doll in it.

We don't bother one bit with "the man in the funny red suit". It's ALL about Jesus!

Yvonne F. said...

Oh, and I wanted to say that I love your ideas Chiara. Thank you again for inspiring me to go a step further this season for Christ.

Shannon said...

Chiara--I just read an idea I though I would share here. The woman I read about collects nativity sets from all of the countries she travels to (and she sends $20 with traveling friends to have them pick up a nativity for her). And then she displays all of the nativity sets from all over the world around her house each Christmas as a reminder that one day every tongue, tribe and nation shall bow before the Lord! I thought that was a pretty cool idea...

Jennifer Gray said...

WOW! I'm blown away by all these great things. My family celebrated Christmas when I was young by worshiping Santa and consumerism. I have not one good idea to add to this post but I am writing all of these down and planning on starting at least a couple of them this year. Chiara - thank you SO much for your blog and your encouragement. You are a wonderful example to us and are consistently steering us back to Christ!
THANK YOU!!!
Jen

Tall Tale of a Teacher! said...

We started last year a tradition with Kendra and Drew. We baked a cake on Christmas Eve and then on Christmas morning before we opened any presents (love the 3 gift idea) we sang happy birthday to Jesus and ate cake...such a fun thing to eat cake at like 7 in the morning :-)

Chiara said...

You all are so creative! I can't wait to get all these ideas into practice. I thought I'd share one last idea that is WORK, but it always struck me as very powerful. My 4th grade teacher at my Christian school growing up would save their Christmas tree (stripping it of branches after Christmas). At Easter, they would cut the trunk to make a cross and have it on their front lawn. I thought it ties our celebrations of Christ together and reminds us of his coming sacrifice, even as we joyfully celebrate with a beautiful Christmas tree at Christmas. Thanks, everyone!

Kelly @ The Nourishing Home said...

Amen! The verse you quote from Philippians is one of my very favorites and it is on our Christmas card this year. Thanks for sharing the three gifts idea and for keeping the focus on the Lord Jesus Christ - the greatest gift ever given!

Ryan Hawley said...

What a great list of ideas. Good idea to ask everyone to share, Chiara!