Friday, August 15, 2008

Because I said so


Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight."


Carter has definitely been exercising his little will lately. His preferred expression after any statement is "Why?" This can be an innocent, curious why or an insolent, challenging why--much in the way you would imagine a teenager uttering the phrase. The disrespectful why usually follows an imperative which he doesn't like--pick up your toys, turn off the TV, do not eat that now, etc. Sometimes I take the time to explain my reasoning to him, giving him the valid safey reasons, affecting circumstances, or motives behind me asking him or telling him to do something. More often than not, however, I have reverted to the expression, "Because Mommy said so, and God tells you to obey mommy." I shouldn't always have to explain my thought processes or reasons to a two year old. Sometimes I want him to understand, but sometimes I just want him to obey--regardless of whether or not he understands why.

This week has been a hard week for many in my extended family. In one week, they will have faced trials of a miscarriage, job loss and surgery. It was one of those weeks when, much like my two year old, I was required to obey God's plan and direction, but I was tempted to pout and ask "why?" However, I know that rebellion and anger is a futile exercise. God is sovereign. He is in charge. God is perfect and has a plan for each of His believers that will all work out for good. I have limited understanding before an omniscient God.

My sister-in-law has been a perfect example of firmly trusing in the midst of a very difficult trial this week. She and her husband have never wavered in their faith and love for God, even when He asked for a large sacrifice and loss. She has been an amazing example to many at our church who are undergoing trials and might be struggling to stand firm. With grace and humility, she has gently submitted to God's will with obedience and hope.

We don't always know the reasons why things happen. We do know God has complete control, and only those things which He allows can enter our lives. Instead of mimicking the stubborn attitude of a two year old, may we have the maturity and hope to obey our sovereign Creator--even when all God reveals to us is, "Because I said so."

5 comments:

Jennifer Gray said...

I love this comparison. It is so true that we often ask why.

To extend it further:
In our house Jordan can't say and doesn't yet understand "why" but she loves "no." As she screams "NO! NO! NO Mama!" and covers her face while kicking and screaming for effect it reminds me of so many times we are tempted to not only ask why but to dare say "No" to our creator and sustainer. Such a reminder (Prov 3:5) that we are commanded to trust in the Lord and not only do we not have the option to ask why we also cannot say no. Tough sometimes. Thanks for this post and for affirming those responding well to trials, by the grace of God. :) :)

Ryan Hawley said...

Great point. It is okay to ask why and to seek out understanding for why things are happening. And sometimes God shows us the why. But as you pointed out, others times he just asks us to trust him. And that is really the true measure of our faith

Gathered Chick said...

Another right-on post. Thanks for this reminder, Chiara. I am praying for your family.

~ Heidi

Anonymous said...

I too love this comparison! Knowing ultimately that even when are in a trial and don't understand why, God does and has such a great purpose with each of our lives. When we lost our baby last year the question "why" was asked often, but even though we didn't understand, we never once doubted God's faithfulness. Being able to trust God's grace and sovereignty even when not understanding why causes us to grow so much. I think we can ask "why" as long as we don't let finding the answer consume us. I may never know the answer to my "why" but I fully believe that God does and it's ok that I don't!
I love how we can learn so much about our relationship with Christ through watching our children! Thank you for sharing!

Amy Kaylor Photography said...

For a time here in our home, I would not allow the girls to ask me WHY ever. It was becoming way too much for this Mommy to answer why times 4 times too many times a day. It was probably not my best parenting technique, but now the why's don't come as often. I am more careful now which why's I will address and it's amazing to see now how the girls respond to me when I choose not to give them a reason. They are more accepting and it is a beautiful picture of what my responses should look like to my God. Praying for your sisters and their families!