Friday, January 29, 2010

Globus Pharyngeus--Huh?

GERD, acid reflux and other digestive issues run in my dad's side of the family. Poor little Micah was born with it too. I think it is funny that the Mexican half of my family suffers from this, as they eat nothing but spicy food, tomatoes and other generally not-so-good for reflux foods.
I've had issues with this before. I get heartburn fairly easily, and in both pregnancies I had to sleep sitting straight up during the last trimester because the heartburn was so bad. In fact, in my last trimester with Micah, I went to the ER with a severe form of "lump in my throat". I actually was choking a lot and finding it hard to breathe at times. They gave me steroids to relax my throat. Only because of the heartburn, I also started taking Xantac, and it cleared up. They told me the throat spasms were due to a throat infection, but I now realize it was a flare up of Globus Pharyngeus.
Well, a couple of days ago, I developed this annoying lump in my throat. It felt like food was stuck on the right side of my throat--down below my Adam's apple. I tried drinking a lot of water as fast as possible to wash it out, but that didn't help. I didn't sleep well, as it actually radiates a little bit of pain into my chest. It is worse at night.
I suspected it was related to reflux. Sure enough, all the symptoms align with Globus Pharyngeus. It is when the muscles below your adam's apple over tighten to keep acid out of your throat. It isn't the most pleasant feeling--you feel it every time you swallow--like you took too big of a bite and it is stuck in your throat.
I bought some Zantac, and I am trying to destress. Stress makes it worse. Do any of you have any background with this? It is supposed to go away on its own after a few weeks or months. I'd love any advice if you've struggled with this. I know I need to not eat an hour before bed, and I need to avoid fats, milky foods and spice or caffeine at night.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Hi Chiara,
I've been catching up on my blogging reads..you always do a fantastic job.
Anyway, quick comment for you. We should talk. I deal with the same issue. It's one of those things you never know when it will show up or how long it will last.
I will definitely pray that this goes away for you quickly.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy Kaylor Photography said...

I suffer too my with GERD and I just recently found out that my reflux may be causing all these heart palpitations too I'm suffering with! I'll be sure to pray for you too in this area when my symptoms arise which is almost nightly. ;o(

Anonymous said...

Hi, I like your blog. This is a nice site and I wanted to post a little note to let you know, nice job! Thanks Meme

[url=http://www.luxurygiftsbags.com]Louis Vuitton[/url]

louis vuitton