Tuesday, July 17, 2007

For Such a Time as This

I was listening to a pastor on the radio this morning and was hearing about the story of Esther again. The very famous verse of Esther 4:14 says,"For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father's family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to royal position for such a time as this?" Of course, Esther does believe she has been made queen in order to save the Jews from Mordecai. It is easy to hear this verse and automatically think of people throughout history who have been key instruments in doing God's will--big events like Esther's. However, we then miss the application for us. We might not have a complete country or race of people depending on us to act, but God gives us all opportunities to serve Him and His people. Each day, God puts events in our lives that are "for such a time as this." Perhaps God has given you a neighbor to reach. Maybe you are in a high position in your job to implement guidelines and a culture at work that glorify God. God may have brought you through a trial or very dark valley so that you can empathize with and reach another soul suffering in a similar way. There are so many examples. Take a moment to think about your circumstances. Are you willing to be used? I try to wake up and pray everyday, "God use me today. Help me to be flexible with divine appointments and help me to be a good witness for you." However, I very often forget to look at the everyday, expected routines and people around me. God's appointments don't always have to be unexpected or out of the ordinary. I need to go bring some garden flowers to my newly divorced neighbor and invite her to church. I need to think outside the box in order to show love to and encourage my husband. I need to write a note of encouragement to that ministry leader at church who flies under the radar. I need to share Jesus with the membership checker at the gym who always wants to chat. I need to think about what specific position God has given me in which I am to be used--for all of His followers are to be used for His glory. Finally, Esther recognized her position as Queen and her amazing beauty were not characteristics in which to pride herself. She humbled herself to obedience and the possibility of death. I am not to glory in my efforts or my tasks for God--whether successful or not. I am to humble myself and wonder how such a majestic God could use such a broken human like me--only through the power of Christ Jesus!

2 comments:

Seagers said...

Way to (again) give me a nudge.

Gaylyn said...

Your will above all else...my purpose remains. The art of losing myself in bringing you praise....
"For such a time as this" is my prayer to live in. Thanks for this!