Saturday, July 28, 2007

Love thy Enemies

I know we often hear the old adage to "love our enemies," but this often quoted saying is a Biblical command we dare not dismiss. This week I was taking account of areas in which I have or haven't seen growth in my Christian walk. Like most people, I tend to focus intently in one area, much to the detriment of other areas. For example, I find great energy and passion for ministry at church and the encouragement of others. However, I put all my energy into this, forgetting to gauge my thankfulness in all situations, to check the holiness of all my habits and to double and triple check my attitude and perspective.
The habit of loving those who hurt and persecute me is not my favorite practice. You wouldn't believe some of the elaborate thoughts of retaliation and self-righteousness I can harbor. It's easier to steam and vent than to swallow my pride, remember my own vices and freely dole out forgiveness. I can tell you all the BIG injustices in my life more quickly than I can tell you all the times someone stood up for me in undeserved love and servitude. That is sad. James 4:12 tells us,
"There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the one who is able to save and destroy."

Some of you might be saying, "You have no idea what so and so did to me." Just remember what we did to our loving Savior when He was crucified. There is no comparison. We required His painful death due to our self-seeking hearts and ugly, selfish sin. Remember that forgiving someone does not excuse a behavior as right when it was wrong, and it does not always mean there will not be a consequence. Forgiving and LOVING enemies is handing you hurt to God, not harboring ill feelings in your heart toward the person that SINNED against you, finding joy in your circumstances and loving the offender through the knowledge that we are all guilty without God's loving grace, mercy and forgiveness. God is the judge, and He will avenge you in His timing and with His justice. Have you ever been severely hurt by someone you trusted or loved? Perhaps someone you barely knew persecuted you? Let go of the bitterness today. Remember I John 4:7-8, 11-12,
"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone
who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not loves does
not know God, because God is love. . . Dear friends, since God so loved us, we
also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love
one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us."

2 comments:

Ryan Hawley said...

Great thoughts, babe. Jesus definitely sets a high standard for us in asking to forgive our brother seventy times seven. It is something I think we all struggle with

Ryan Hawley said...

Jesus also gives us the example to follow. I John 3:16 says that the ultimate standard of loving others is Jesus' death for us on the cross. If we truly pondered that, how much we should be motivated to love our brothers