Monday, July 16, 2007

Gym Rat

Not that you could tell, but I spend about 45 minutes at the gym, 4 days a week. After Having Carter, I felt and saw the effects of bed rest, eating in order to not toss my cookies every hour, and our family's wonderful genetic propensity to gain insane amounts of water weight. For the first time in my life, I had to join a gym. I tried working out at home, but Carter would have none of it while he was awake, and his naps were filled with my need to do Bible study, shower, clean, return phone calls and e-mail, and the list goes on. Well, I have to say I rather enjoy the gym. It helps me take care of the body God gave me, and, as I sweat away on the treadmill, I have time to organize thoughts and to read some devotional/Christian books. I recently finished The Excellent Wife, by Martha Peace. It is convicting and wonderfully encouraging. I love that she doesn't dance around the point of Biblical truths, but she unapologetically lays out the scripture and points to the practical applications that should result. In addition, I just finished reading Sister Freaks, by Rebecca St. James. It is a compilation of different women and how they stood/stand out for Christ. Most of the stories were inspiring, though I felt a few were odd or misplaced. Overall, I greatly enjoyed the motivation to be more bold and consumed with my Savior and His will for me. I have been going back and answering the devotional questions for each section of the book. Have you read any outstanding Christian books this summer? I am ready to order a new book online, and I'd love some suggestions.

3 comments:

Sarah Cox said...

Hi,
Jen read parts of "Teach Them Diligently" by Lou Priolo and said it was amazing. I haven't read it but I want to!

Seagers said...

Chiara, love the blog. You have to tell me how to do a cool picture in your header.

:) Megan

Chiara said...

Thanks for all the wonderful ideas, everyone! I have Damsels in Distress, by Martha Peace in my lineup. I am going to read Helper by Design and Teach Them Diligently, thanks to Sarah. I also want to read Feminine Appeal by Mahaney and The Fulfilled Family, by John MacArthur. Now I just need to make sure I go to the gym so I can read!