Tuesday, January 15, 2008

A Desert Valley

Know that the Lord is God.
It is he who made us, and we are his;
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. Psalm 100:3


This last weekend was our Brian Head, Utah ski trip. We were going with Ryan's family and our mutual family friends, the Van Schoicks. All of us were driving the 8 and 1/2 hour drive, so I bought many Wiggles and Elmo DVD's the week prior, found and borrowed ski clothes for our family and spent a couple of days packing.

The day to leave finally came, so Ryan and I packed Carter into our SUV on Friday and drove 8 hours to Utah. The trip up was flawless. Carter took over a two hour nap, I didn't have to ask Ryan to stop too often, and, with the help of some Wiggles videos, Carter didn't utter a peep or whine the entire 8 hours. Then we hit the Utah state line.
We were so tired from driving all day, and the excitement of getting to the cabin and sleeping was getting more and more real. As I was pondering a warm fire with snow falling outside, I was disturbed by a weird noise from the back seat. I turned around just in time to see Carter get sick repeatedly all over his blankies, clothes and car seat. We had eight normal hours in the car, and just as we got within half an hour of our vacation spot, Carter came down with the stomach flu. Ryan and I both looked at each other in disbelief. We were going to be around three other toddlers over the weekend, so there was no way we could bring a sick Carter into the confined cabin. We ended up pulling over into a hotel in Cedar City to weather the night of sickness. We had pits in our stomach and disappointment all over our faces. We chatted and knew we had to drive another eight hours back home the next day.

Well, Carter was done being sick by morning, and he then acted as if nothing had happened. We decided to drive the half an hour to the cabin to drop off Ryan's mom's birthday present and to just see what Brian Head, Utah would have offered. We arrived to find out one of the other toddlers had thrown up once the night before and that poor Susan, Ryan's mom (birthday girl), was sick with aches and chills in bed. This wasn't even counting one part of the family who had all had the flu the week prior. After realizing everyone was sick or exposed already, and after hearing everyone repeatedly urge us to stay, we decided to take a risk and stay for the weekend.

No one else got the stomach flu, and the trip was fun, other than our dear friend breaking his poor shoulder skiing (but that is another post, another time). What stays in my mind is the realization that I took a step of growth in my Christian walk when we realized Carter was sick that first evening. My first reaction was panic and disbelief, and I heard myself quietly asking God, "Why?" I am sure it wasn't an innocent "why", but more of a whining, grumbling, and complaining "why". I was getting tears in my eyes as I stared out the window into the desert sky, but the whole way to the hotel, I kept hearing Job 2:10 in my mind. "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" After musing on this thought, I hummed some praise to God and felt His peace settle on my heart.


I am so ready to accept bonuses, praise, gifts, blessings and perfect situations from God without a "Why?" We all struggle with an attitude of such entitlement. However, when plans are spoiled or sickness or trouble enter our lives, we stop and direct inquiries at God. If we are Christians, following God's will, we are to obey and follow, no matter whether God leads us through the highest of hills or the deepest of valleys. As Job points out, we need to accept the good and the bad that God allows, for He is God in all situations, and our faith must not waver when we are in darker places.
Certainly eight hours out of life and a case of the stomach flu is not the darkest valley I will ever navigate. God has allowed more difficult challenges in my life than this weekend. However, I was pleased to learn a lesson in righteousness as I traveled wearily at night beneath the deep Utah desert sky. I CAN choose to take the good and bad situations in life in equal stride when they are from my loving Heavenly Father. He is far bigger and greater than any desert, any illness, any disappointment and any loss. He is my God.

8 comments:

Amy Kaylor Photography said...

Maybe he was just a little car sick? My twins both got sick about 9 hours into our 11 hour drive home from Colorado at Thanksgiving. But I know that feeling of disappointment. I have spent my time sitting in a hotel room with a sick child at the Kaylor Family Reunion at Disneyland and in Palm Desert one Thanksgiving. Trust me when I say that my attitude was not one of thankfulness for ALL that God gives. Glad you stuck it out for some winter fun!!!

Chiara said...

We were wondering that at first, but he threw up all night. He didn't stop until 8 a.m. the next morning. (12 hours after getting out of the car) Also, the flu is still running through the childcare rooms at our church--this was our second run (first time was before Christmas). I'm still amazed no one else caught it on the trip, though! God is good to protect all of us.

Ryan Hawley said...

Chiara,

You kept a great attitude through the whole thing, and I really appreciate that. You were so easily able to leave it all up to God. That was a lesson for me.

And I still have the Wiggles songs in my head...

Tall Tale of a Teacher! said...

I am telling you...it almost scares me to go to church. I just pray that Kendra and Drew do not get it again! I am so glad that after those 12 hours that you enjoyed your time. Every winter our youth group from Voyagers Bible Church in Irvine went to Brian Head for a ski trip. It is so beautiful and a wonderful place to take a vacation. Chiara your words are always so true...and so well communicated. Have a great weekend!

Shannon said...

Great post. And a very timely reminder for me. Thanks!

Kelly @ The Nourishing Home said...

Thanks, Chiara! You are so correct in pointing out how often we question "why?" on the difficult paths, but don't seem to utter that same question when blessings are pouring down. Your example of acceptance and praise despite the circumstance is inspiring! Good for you that you allowed the Spirit to turn your disappointment into peace and praise!

Anonymous said...

Oh Chiara, dear sweet friend! How often the question "why" has been in my thoughts during the past 4 months. I've yet to receive an answer, but I'm learning accept it. When we have our plans, and then a wrench is thrown into it, like Carter getting sick, it's hard to see the sun through the rain isn't it. What I've come to understand, is that we can't have a rainbow without the rain first. To see the sun, sometimes we must walk right into the darkness to get to the sunshine.
I really enjoy the insight that you share!

mark.vr said...

Entitlement is definitely a easy sin to fall into. I'm glad to hear that everything worked out and praise God that both of you were able to have a good trip despite the sickness. God sure has a way to bring us back to relying on Him. If the difficulties weren't there, then we would have a difficult time growing. It is hard to grow but it is helpful in our walk.