Thursday, January 10, 2008

Encourage One Another: Tana Larson

I Thessalonians 5:11, "Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."

In December, I took a break from my I Thessalonians 5:11 posts, but I wanted to make sure I started off 2008 well and posted one before I leave on the first of our two January trips. (see post below). Today, I want to acknowledge and encourage the labor and hard work of Tana Larson.

If you have partaken in any manner of Women's Bible Study: listening to CD's, gotten a notebook independently, come on a regular basis or perhaps even just used the prayer notebook that WBS graciously offers in the Compass Book Store, then you have benefited from the work of our sister in Christ, Tana.

Though there are many dear sisters who work vigorously to help Tana coordinate all the facets of this ministry, Tana is the go-to-person for Women's Bible Study. Under the direction of our Women's Ministries director, Stephanie Schwartz, Tana directs, emcee's, and oversees Women's Bible study at Compass Bible Church.

I remember the first Compass Thursday Night class this fall. I was running between childcare, the church and the Compass Room, because we had gotten so many new Thrive attendees, and we were juggling our first night. I ran into Tana in the parking lot, and I stopped to chat with her about shifting members in our WBS small group, due to its size. She had spent the last two or three weeks accomodating requests, graciously enduring "suggestions" from members, and trying to balance and get leaders for all the small groups. Most of us would be tired and not really excited to further discuss yet another roster problem. Tana met me with a smile and patiently listened to me ramble about our new moms needing spots and the size of our group. I left the conversation encouraged myself and feeling like the leadership of the ministry cared about my opinion. I also realized how MUCH Tana works for this ministry in ways that most of us don't realize. She had been up late (that is understating it) into the evenings e-mailing, calling and getting rosters finalized. Never would she broadcast that to the group.

Something I hear over and over again about Women's Bible Study is how much women grow and are confronted with the truth of the Bible when they attend. Another often heard remark is how ORGANIZED this ministry runs. People joke about the fact that, of course, women's ministry is organized and detailed in planning, but it is overlooked that the organization is due to the efforts and planning of its leaders, which includes our hardworking Tana!

Tana is a very outgoing, caring sister in Christ. If you sit by her or run into her at a function, she'll gladly chat, often bringing her conversation to point to God and His attributes. I am so blessed by all she does for WBS. For the past two and a half years (since I was able to stop working) I have watched my personal walk take direct, truthful and benefitial encounters from the lessons given on Wednesday morning. If you looked at the list at the top and realized you have benefited from Tana's hard work and direction, take a moment to say thank you when you see her. She is a dear, effective worker for God's glory.

I Corinthians 15:58, "Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."

3 comments:

Kelly @ The Nourishing Home said...

Tana is a blessing to all who know her! I am so glad, Chiara, that you chose to highlight all she is doing for women at Compass (of course this impacts so many other lives in turn)! I first met Tana at Women's Retreat 2006 and she really made an impact on my life! She has such a love for the Lord and it shines through in all she does. Tana, you are a special blessing to all of us!!! Love, kel

Tana said...

Wow!!! I am speechless. Thanks Chiara for this amazing encouragement. You have really spurred me on. May God's grace and mercy continue to shine through all of us as we serve His church and the community for His name.
And thanks Kelly to you too. I feel we have had a special bond since that retreat also. I am still looking forward to more riding with you :-)

love,
Tana

Shannon said...

I first "met" Tana when I sent an email about signing up for WBS late. She got back to me the very same day and made me feel so welcome. After exchanging emails with her, I wasn't nervous about being a "new comer" to WBS at all! Great post, Chiara!