Tuesday, May 6, 2008

In Their Shoes


On Friday of last week, I took Carter to Disneyland in the morning. Since we went first thing, we made our way toward the carpool lane of the freeway to avoid the rush hour traffic. As we were sitting in the left lane, waiting for an opening in the carpool lane, a car went around me and the man used his pumping hand and specific finger to let me know I had displeased him in some way. I still have no idea what I did wrong--too slow?, did I cut him off and not realize it?, did he not approve of my Compass BIBLE Church sticker?, or any other myriad of "mistakes."


God totally was with me, and I didn't react in anger or horror. My little two year old probably didn't even notice this man's "sign language", but he does watch my reaction to drivers and my words. I was able to even, in that moment, feel sad over the man's anger and bitterness. What kind of a morning had he had to make him feel that filled with rage? Not a great one, I imagine. I was able to pray for him and genuinely hope he knew, or could find, Christ.


More often than not, however, I feel entitled to be treated fairly by others. Most of the time, I react indignently to unfair treatment. I wish I could more consistently have more of an external viewpoint and love others in all circumstances. I am working on this constantly, and God is giving me encouragment in His Word, teachings at church and even examples, like the one mentioned, where I am able to feel love through mistreatment.


God wants us to walk in others' shoes and feel empathy with others. The problem is that we, more often that not, are too absorbed in our own schedules, lives and families to look at a stranger and care about their circumstances.


Christ was a perfect example of looking beyond Himself and loving others. He took time in His fatigue and schedule to heal sick, talk to sinners and encourage the downtrodden. One of my favorite verses of compassion is Matthew 23:37. It states, “O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, you who kill the prophets and stone those sent to you, how often I have longed to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing." Christ realizes that these people will hurt Him, taunt Him, ridicule Him and kill Him, but He is able to have compassion over their sinful state and obstinate hearts. He doesn't excuse their behavior, but he loves them and wishes they could see the truth.


The next time a person mistreats you--a cashier is impatient with you or your children, a car cuts you off, or a co-worker gives you undeserved grief--walk in their shoes for a moment. Consider the possible circumstances of their lives and, most likely, their separation from God. Pray for compassion and think about why they might be acting in sin. This will prompt a heart filled with Christ's love to react to their unkindness with patience and caring.

6 comments:

Tall Tale of a Teacher! said...

What a reminder! I love that God gives us the opportunity all the time to practice this!

Ryan Hawley said...

Great point. While we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Romans 5:8). With that kind of love as motivation, we will hopefully be more loving to those who "wrong" us.

Laura said...

thank you for the great reminder.

Amy Kaylor Photography said...

Yes, like The O'Connell Clan said...we have lots of opportunities each and every day don't we?? The taxi drivers out here in NYC and Phili need our prayers!! ;o)))

Shannon said...

So true, Chiara. When we look at other people as sinners in need of God's grace (just like us), it makes it a little easier to overlook their sometimes rude or inconsiderate behavior.

mark.vr said...

Very good post. I'd say that the seeing things from their shoes is good start. I'd just add that recognizing their perspective requires loving them (Matt 5:44). Specifically, I'd say we are to love them as Christ loved us (while we were still sinners).

I only say this because I sometimes find myself understanding non-Christian's perspectives but failing to love them. Anyway, thanks for the post!