Friday, May 23, 2008

Trusting God on the Detours

"O Lord, you are my God;
I will exalt you and praise your name,
for in perfect faithfulness
you have done marvelous things,
things planned long ago." Isaiah 25:1

My husband and I have never been accused of being spontaneous. We are planners. Every aspect of our life is on the calendar or thought out ahead of time. However, we know there is a fine balance between planning, being prudent and yet allowing God to lead you in His will--in His direction.

This month, I had a couple of unexpected turns in my plans or calendar. From past experience, I know it is wise to trust God when He has plans that differ from mine. This doesn't make it easy to completely let go, but it gives me hope and encouragement when I am on a strange path of life. God's plans are faithful, good and loving. Though it isn't always comfortable going in an unplanned direction, I love it when plans are only in God's control and I can just let Him lead.
I used to love Robert Frost's poem The Road Not Taken. It was so full of melancholy, strength and vivid analogy, that I was drawn in the first time I read that poem on my mother's classroom wall. As I have grown in my walk with God, I have realized the difference between a Christian and the narrator of that poem. There is no wistful looking back on choices if God is leading. When I try to guide myself, I definitely might make wrong turns, regret decisions I made or wonder what life would have offered if I had taken such-and-such a path . . . However, whether a road is well trodden or unfamiliar, if God is leading, I am going in the right direction. What comfort and peace there is in God being the Master of your life!

Thank you, Lord, for giving me direction and caring for me each and every moment of my day!

"Many, O Lord my God,
are the wonders you have done.
The things you planned for us
no one can recount to you;
were I to speak and tell of them,
they would be too many to declare."
Psalm 40:5

8 comments:

Amy Kaylor Photography said...

I once heard Colleen Swindoll Dane talk about the picture frame of life and how we try to put God in our frame instead of allowing Him to place our life plans in HIS frame. Interesting thought. And speaking of plans, us girls will be in LA for your church's VBS again this Summer...they can't wait!

Ryan Hawley said...

It's amazing how hard it is for us to let go and trust God. When we take time to consider who it is that we are following (the all-knowing creator of the universe), we should have no trouble letting go..

Tall Tale of a Teacher! said...

I am so thankful for His direction for our lives!

Drew & Erica said...

I often have a hard time 'letting go' when God changes my plans, but so true that his plans are infinitely better than what I could ever dream up. Thanks for the reminder :)

Amy Kaylor Photography said...

Hi Chiara...we are here at the Kaylor's in Laguna. If you are out and about, give us a jingle and maybe we can come meet you and Carter at a park.

Smiles!!!

Jennifer Gray said...

AMEN Chiara! I can't agree more with this post. Often I've wondered, "What if I had...instead of..." and without realizing it I was discontent with what God allowed/ordained in my life. Why not look forward to whatever He has planned for us and pray for His grace to cause us to be joyful in the midst of it? Like Ryan said - with such an amazing holy God in control of our lives need we ever try to take charge?
Great post!

Shannon said...

What a great post Chiara. It's always amazing to me that in hindsight we can see that God knew what He was doing during the "detours" yet we still tend to panic when a new "detour" arises. I too used to be a big fan of the Robert Frost poem. Perhaps you and I can now alter it a bit to read, "I have taken the road God led me on, and that has made all the difference."

Rebecca Millsap said...

Praying for you dear friend during the detours of life :) I'm so glad God directs and we can just trust His path, no matter where it leads. You're a great example to me of how to trust!