Monday, October 6, 2008

Fireproof


I am not usually one to promote anything in Hollywood, but this weekend Ryan and I saw a movie that was such a breath of fresh air. In our marriage ministry, we had been promoting the new Christian movie, Fireproof, and even held an activity to go see it at our local theater. Unfortunately, that was the day after I came down with a bad cold, fever, chills and a sore throat, and it was the same night as my dad's surgery, so we were not able to go that evening.

Well, this weekend, my parents watched Carter while Ryan and I went to Outback for dinner and, afterward, saw Fireproof. To be honest, I was thinking it would be an uplifting and inspirational movie, but I expected some low budget acting and cheesy scenes. I had seen Christian movies in the past, and this seemed to be an expected formula.

Wow, was I floored! Fireproof should be on every Christ follower's must view list. It presented the gospel more clearly and accurately than any Christian film I had ever seen. It didn't just talk about God's love and grace--it dealt clearly with the issues of sin, missing the mark of God's holiness and our need for forgiveness. It wasn't just about saying a "sinner's prayer." The movie clearly showed a changed life and fruit from the repentance and faith that led to the salvation of a character.

In addition, Ryan and I lead a marriage ministry at church and find it so discouraging when we see how Satan sneaks into marriages with lies and temptation. This movie dealt with common problems head on and in a very realistic way. I was shocked that it was so honest and didn't romanticize the problems that marriages face.

I won't say any more, for fear of giving away too much of the plot, but I cannot urge you enough to see it. Bring non-Christian friends--especially those who might be struggling in marriage. Even if they are not, it gives an extended and amazing presentation of the gospel. Ryan and I both said we enjoyed the movie so much we were sad when it ended. The whole movie audience applauded when the credits were rolling at the end. I left the theater that night so full of joy and amazement that this type of message is allowed in a mainstream theater--though it be in limited release.

Before it leaves the theater, please go see it. You won't be sorry. Oh, and you'll understand the picture of the salt and pepper shakers AFTER you see the movie!

8 comments:

Amy Kaylor Photography said...

Nothing like some "cheaper" marital counseling! We tried to go see it this past weekend, but enjoyed our dinner and one on one conversation so much, we missed it. Thanks for the review!

Ryan Hawley said...

I wholeheartedly agree. Great movie!

Drew & Erica said...

Thanks for the review. I'd like to see it since we missed the Thrive movie night.

Anonymous said...

I love the whole salt and pepper analogy!!!

Jennifer Gray said...

Shan and I just got home from seeing it! Patrick and Carrie Steele watched the kids for us so we could go. HUGE blessing and it was SO good. :) I agree with your post entirely!

Laura said...

Jeff and I got to see the movie last night. We are sooo glad we got the chance to watch it in the theater. Talk about perfect analogies!

Rebecca Millsap said...

I love the photo of the salt and pepper shakers you found! Thrive is such a great ministry how positively the marriages you and Ryan are impacting for Christ! It's so important teaching the couples in our congregation how to have a firm foundation and strong, committed marriage! Thank you for making this movie a date night for Thrive! What an awesome movie!!

mark.vr said...

We saw it and both liked it (which is rare for us). Thanks for recommending the movie:-)

Mark