Friday, September 7, 2007

Feminine Appeal: The Honor of Working at Home






I have been reading Feminine Appeal, by Carolyn Mahaney. In reading the sixth chapter, entitled The Honor of Working at Home, I found that her book exposed feelings that I wasn't aware I had. I truly recognize the error of feminism and the fundamental problem of denying the biblical mandate for submission from women. I understand that being at home with Carter is a wonderful honor, but a selfish side of me has secretly missed the prideful recognition I got at work.




I'm an achievement driven individual. In school I aimed for straight A's. At work, I was concerned with accolades, awards and my reputation at the school at which I taught. Even with my need for these trivialities, I understand that pride is the sin that yearns for such things.




Carolyn reminded me of whom I ought to please through my job as a homemaker. First and foremost, I am to please God. I am doing all things for His glory, and I should know His grace is sufficient for me. (II Corinthians 12:9) No matter what my circumstances, I am to be obedient and loving. Kindly and graciously, God has given us earthly benefits for our service too. All the wonderful blessings that come with working at home are often foggy in the middle of a tough day. Here is a little reminder if you are finding today a particularly difficult leg of your race. I hope the following quote blesses you and gives you joy if you are facing a particularly hard day.




This excerpt is a little long, but it certainly is worth the read. On pages 114-115, she says,




"When I reflect upon my past twenty-nine years as a homemaker, a virtual
collage of memories floods my mind: Family Night every Monday.
Reading with my husband by the fire. Tucking my children into bed at
night with a song and a prayer. Waking them up for a surprise "pajama
ride" to Dunkin' Donuts. Reading Little House on the Prairie to my
daughters or Paddington Bear to my little boy.
Counseling a newly wed couple through their first disagreement.
Evenings of fellowship, food, and laughter with friends. Throwing a baby
shower for my unsaved neighbor. Extending hospitatlity to overnight
guests. Praying with other women in my living room.
Long talks with C.J. over a cup of coffee. Enjoying sweet forgiveness
after resolving a family conflict. Extending family dinnertime
conversations. Sharing with our children the good news of Jesus
Christ.
And I'll never forget this memory: I was standing at my kitchen sink,
washing the breakfast dishes, when Chad entered the room. He was only four
years old at the time, and he began running in little-boy circles in front of the
refrigerator. He was singing a song he'd made up, and it went like
this: "You're the best mommy in the whole world! You're the best
mommy in the whole world!"
Though his song had only this one refrain, he continued for a full five
minutes. I stood there with the dirty dishes, watching my son and
thinking, I have the BEST JOB in the whole world!
My hope for this chapter is that as a fellow homemaker, you too will
agree."

I weep when I read these words, because I know how true they are in my home. There is nothing better than Carter, in his one and a half year old manner, running his crooked gallop straight to me, hugging my legs tightly, looking right up to me and smilingly and joyfully exclaiming, "Momma!" This is how he says, "I love you," and it is better than any teaching award or perfect report card I could ever receive.

3 comments:

Yvonne F. said...

Chiara, I just discovered your blog site today and LOVE what you have done!

I am so encouraged by your timely words, especially after finding myself feeling that the days when I took care of my children, and cleaned our home, that I didn't accomplish much. Truly, there is no role I would rather have than a home-mommy.

You have also inspired me to dust off my copy of this great book and finish where I left off a couple months ago.

Love, Yvonne

ShaWAna said...

I don't even have kids, as you know, and this book changed my life. For any of you who don't have kids, or if your kids are grown or whatever life stage you are in, this book is truly life-changing and awesome! I've read it a few times now and have purchased it for most of the women in my life. I just can't say enough about it and Chiara, I am so glad that you are growing from it too.

Ryan Hawley said...

I know its a lot of work to stay home with Carter. The few times I have had to take him all day have been a lot more work than I thought. I appreciate all that you do -- you are an excellent mother!