Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Encourage One Another: George Igawa

John 13:14-17-- "Now that I, your lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them."


It's time for our I Thessalonians 5:11 Wednesday! In the spirit of that verse, each week I pick a person who has obediently blessed others in some way and encourage him or her in these actions. Many of you will immediately recognize the name of my person this week: George Igawa. Romans 15: 17 best summarizes George's perspective on serving others.
"Therefore I glory in Christ Jesus in my service to God."

I picked George Igawa because he is an obedient and willing vessel for the Lord, yet he flies under the radar for many people. You can find George doing anything from preparing and giving a sermon to blowing leaves off the parking lot early before church services. On Thursday evenings, you might spot a glimpse of George as he runs from room to room trouble shooting and happily setting up the requests for all the ministries that night. In fact, if there is a need, you will often find George filling that need with his mostly unrecognized service.





In co-leading the Thrive ministry, we often have requests for the church, and George, being the adult Bible studies director, gets to hear about our emergencies and requests the most often. He has graciously stepped in at Thrive and blessed us with teachings on numerous occasions. Last year, we had a last minute cancellation, and George had to prepare and give a teaching to the group with only one day of preparation. This weekend, as always, George had a ministry table elegantly set up for our group sign-ups, and even moved us to a different location (upon request) with nary a word.





What I most appreciate about George is his intense love for the Lord and the humility that results from his thankfulness to his Savior. He is beyond bold in his accolades for Jesus Christ and the spotlight is never on himself. In fact, this post will most likely be uncomfortable for him. I know he is merely being obedient as a child and servant of God, but I want to encourage George that he is doing an outstanding job and is a positive example to many of the flock. I am thankful for all he does to serve Christ's church, and I am happy to acknowledge such a humble and active soldier in God's army!
John 13 :15 "I have set you an example that you should do as I have done
for you."

2 comments:

Ryan Hawley said...

Way to go, George!

Unknown said...

I can't think about George without smiling - his passion for the Word of God has been contagious at Compass Bible Church and we are all blessed to serve along side. I am happy that George is on our side!