Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Blogging on Devotions


Many people might wonder why I write both family updates and Biblical lessons in my blog. The reason I add family updates is obvious. I enjoy sharing pictures of my wonderful family, and Carter stories are usually quite entertaining. However, why do I write about the Bible or devotional books?

Well, of course I want to share what I learn in my quiet times, but it is rather more self-serving at times. When I blog about scripture, sermons or Christian books, I am able to better digest the message and application of the lesson that I am learning. A quote from Henry Scudder's The Christian's Daily Walk in Holy Security and Peace states,
"Merely reading, hearing and having transient thoughts of biblical truths do not
leave half that impression of goodness upon the soul, which they would do, if
they might be recalled, and fixed there by serious thought. Without this
meditation, the good food of the soul passes through the understanding, and
therein is quite lost. It is like raw and undigested food, which does not
nourish those creatures that chew the cud until they have retrieved it back and
chewed it better . . . Meditation digests, engrafts, and turns the spiritual
knowledge gained from God's Word . . . into the very life and substance of the
soul, changing and transforming you according to it."
This sums up nicely what I am able to do by writing down thoughts and conclusions on Bible study. I pray that you find my musings Biblical and helpful in spurring your own thought.

1 comment:

Ryan Hawley said...

I find them very helpful. You bring up insightful points that are very challenging. Keep them coming...