Thursday, August 30, 2007

God that hath made and preserved us a nation


I love to read snippets from two hymn books I own. They are called Then Sings My Soul, books 1 and 2. I was intrigued as to why they included The Star Spangled Banner, but then I read the second stanza of Francis Scott Key's famous song:



"Blest with victory and peace, may the heaven-rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation!
Then conquer we must when our cause it is just.
And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave."

Imagine the meaning we'd get across if we sang the whole song at sporting events, and think of the words to the second stanza next time you hear our National Anthem.
2 Chronicles 7:14 "if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

1 comment:

Mary Beth Padilla said...

What a wonderful thing to learn! I always regretted that our national anthem wasn't "God Bless America," but this information makes me feel better about the selection we've been given. Your subject of hymns, hymnals, and worship touched a chord within me. Because I am a human fossil, I love old (for the most part) hymns. To be more honest and precise, I love those that speak of my soul and my debt for what Christ has done for me. I often cannot remember the entire lyrics of a song but phrases resound in my head,e.g., "so sings my soul, my saviour God to thee, 'How great thou art'...", or "Just as I am without one plea...". The songs of which I am speaking render me unable to sing (that's a good thing for those around me), but I am singing inside with a voice given to me by the Holy Spirit. The words and melody empty me of pride and self in ways that are difficult to describe. I can only weep with remorse for my culpability in the necessity of Christ's death on the cross. I weep because He sees me as I truly am and, yet, still loves me. May I never lose sight of my-debt-which-cannot-be-repaid and may I live, not to myself, but for His glory. Let me always sing within, no matter the song or the time or the place.