Sunday, August 12, 2007

Ideas for eating out. . .


I enjoy cooking. My opportunities are few and far between now that I have a one and a half year old playing "tunnel" between my knees and throwing balls at me while I try to chop veggies and open the oven faster than he can get to it. Someday in the near future, I know I will once again be cutting out recipes and experimenting with glazes, pies and homemade soups. For now, we eat in a rut--many of the same fast, easy and simple dishes each month, and we eat out a lot on the weekend. I LOVE to go out to eat, especially when I don't have to pacify a toddler on a date night. So, I thought I'd share some great restaurants I enjoy. I've lived in South Orange County my whole life, except for the six years I was in Los Angeles for school, so I have been to many of the places around this area. Lately, however, it seems like more and more new places are popping up that I haven't tried, so please add your thoughts and favorite restaurants in the comment section.




Kid friendly, casual options:


California Pizza Kitchen (Mission Viejo)--Literally five minutes from our house, this is a fun place with yummy salads and pizza for me. Carter enjoys eating the crayons, dining on black beans and avocado and looking at all the people. I like that I can order a half salad and still feel full. It is always crowded, so be prepared to wait.




Wingnuts (Aliso Viejo)--Very kid friendly! We get 3 tasters from the appetizer menu (baskets of wings) and then get a side of chips. This is enough for Ryan and I to share with Carter. After eating, we always go play by the fountain with Carter. Parking can be pesky, so we always just go straight to the parking garage and walk.




Daphne's (Aliso Viejo)--If you don't go on a Saturday at 6:30, you can usually find parking directly behind the restaurant. We love to eat there and Carter can make noise! He loves the Pita bread, and I enjoy thinking of our trip to Greece . . .




Pei Wei (Lake Forest)--Fairly new, this is a fun place if you like PF Changs without the wait and want to pay a little less money. Carter likes playing with the chopsticks, and I like the lettuce wraps and honey chicken.




Ruby's (any of them)--Okay, these are the easiest kid places EVER! Carter loves the trains going around the ceiling, and the kid's meals are great. I love the diet cherry Cokes, and, if I am splurging, a yummy milkshake. The Mission Viejo Mall Ruby's is closest to us, but I always enjoy going to the one in San Juan Capistrano and then walking to the Zoomar zoo afterward or looking at Los Rios street.




El Molino de Oro (San Juan Capistrano)--It's like being in Mexico. It is a little "order at the counter" Mexican food place, with an attached panaderia and pinata store. There is always Futbol on the TV (soccer) and spicy food on your plate. It's very affordable and right by USA Baby if you need to go shopping for your little one.




Rainforest Cafe (South Coast Plaza)--Well, it is really made for kids. The food is okay, but the ambiance is outstanding. Carter--who needs a lot of stimuli--can stare for hours at the fish, animatronic animals, waterfalls and foilage. He likes to watch the balloon lady make animals and gets a little scared when the thunder rolls and the apes make noise. Overall, a great place to take kids!




BJ's Pizzeria--Laguna Beach or Laguna Hills--Always crowded. Always yummy! The chopped barbeque chicken salad is sooooo good. The pizza is soooooo tasty. Very kid friendly and a lot of sports TV's to appease your sport loving hubby. Ryan loves to gnosh on a Pazookie (cookie with ice cream) for dessert.




Casual to Nice Datenight:


Mario's by the Sea (Dana Point)--This place doesn't have outstanding ambiance, but the food is out of this world. It is a small bistro type place with a small patio. The pasta a la vodka sauce is sooooo yummy! It is a little pricey, but date nights seem to be rare these days.




Cheesecake Factory (Spectrum or the Mission Viejo Mall or any of the millions of other locations)--Always insanely good food. It isn't new, but it is outstanding. The service can be slow and the wait is always long. However, you give me a bite of Spicy Cashew Chicken or a french fry dipped in their amazing Ranch dressing, and I've forgotten about holding a pager in my hand for 45 minutes.




China Moon (Laguna Niguel)--I have loved Chinese food since I was little. I love spicy food, and I love sweet food. Here you have the two combined. The sizzling rice soup is a favorite of mine, but you must try the cilantro chicken. Yum! There is a Tepan grill side and a restaurant side. Stick with the restaurant. It is in a strip mall and a local favorite.


Javier's (Spectrum)--I used to go to the Laguna Beach restaurant, which had a local flavor to it. The one at the Spectrum is fancier and always has a wait. Sit on the barside patio--which is sooo nice, and eat chips and guacamole while peoplewatching. I love the shrimp enchiladas!


Thai This (Dana Point)--I haven't been here in ages, but it used to have great Thai food with a fun environment. I loved the green curry chicken at the time, but the menu might have changed over the years.


Fisherman (San Clemente)--Go sit on the deck during happy hour and get a bread bowl of chowder while you watch the sun go down! It's cheap and romantic. Ditto on the Wind and Sea (Dana Point Harbor--happy hour snacks while watching the boats sail over the water).


Very Nice Datenight:

Ti Amo's (Laguna Beach)--This place can be casual/nice if you order pasta and don't go overboard on items. However, I prefer to dress up, go sit upstairs (you need reservations) and listen to Andrea Boccelli as I have several courses. It doesn't look like much on the outside, but the inside is dripping with romantic decor. Candlelight, etc. If you are looking to be extra romantic, reserve a table by the fireplace upstairs.


French 75 (Laguna Beach)--Choclate Souffle, need I say more? Romantic and pricey. I recommend inside dining. The outside "tent" is on the street and is really just a glorified patio. Inside you get live piano and candles. Once we sat in the bottom room next to the fireplace. It is quieter and quite cozy. I don't know if that room is always open. Make reservations!


Luciana's (Dana Point)--Tiny, cute Italian food place on PCH. I'd go to Ti Amo's first, but Luciana's is a close second. To really add spice to your romantic night, stay a night at the Blue Lantern Inn and walk over to eat at Luciana's. Fireplaces, piano music and waiters with Italian accents. It's all there. I recommend reservations.


Dizz's As Is--(Laguna Beach)--I haven't gone here in awhile, but it is a cute little shack turned into a restaurant. The environmnent is casual in a trendy, expensive kind of way. The menu is new each night, and you get several courses with your dinner. Come early to enjoy a beverage on the outdoor patio. Inside you have a small restaurant with piano music and quirky decorations. Reservations needed!


Charthouse (Dana Point)--I have so many memories here. My younger sister, Christa, got married here, and I came here all the time in high school for dessert. Six of us would split one dessert. I'm sure the waiter loved us! I still recommend dessert over the dinner (mud pie). If you love seafood, it is great for dinner, but I am not a fish lover. I'd rather have a nice dinner elsewhere and come to share a mudpie while looking at the twinkling harbor lights at night. Reservations recommended.


Jake's (Del Mar)--Right on the water in Del Mar, Jake's is worth the drive. Make reservations! The seafood is great (though I always get steak). The Kona ice cream pie is delicious, and a walk on the beach is always a perfect ending.


El Nito (Rosarito Beach, Mexico)--Okay, I know everyone goes to get Lobster in Puerto Nuevo, but this is an amazing restaurant. They have breakfast, lunch and dinner. Sit in the atrium area and listen to birds under the canopy of trees. Watch the women make homemade tortillas. Every meal comes with a salad (which is safe to eat), homemade bean soup, hot tortillas and salsa. Come to sit and relax for awhile. We go down for the day and always stop here. If you want to have a cheap, romantic one night stay, book a room at Las Rocas Resort and Spa (a few miles south) and be prepared to just relax. Ole!


Well, that sums up what is coming to my mind right now. Of course, I couldn't mention all the places we eat--Island's, Lucille's, PF Chang's, In-N-Out, Claim Jumper, etc. However, this is a good start. I'd love any input or ideas you have. As I said, eating out is a favorite hobby of mine, so I'd love new places to try! Let me know your favorites . . .










2 comments:

Ryan Hawley said...

My favorites:

Chiara's chicken Kiev and cheesy potatoes
Chiara's Italian meatloaf
Chiara'a pot roast
Hamburguesas a la Chiara

Oh, and Jake's, Chart House, and Ti Amo are okay too...

Rebecca Millsap said...

These are great!

Robby really wants to try Ta Amo's now!

Thanks for the awesome suggestions! We have such a hard time eating out with Abby, the kid friendly places will be fun to try!