Monday, March 17, 2008

Isn't God Good!



"Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the Lord is God in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other. Keep his decrees and commands, which I am giving you today, so that it may go well with you and your children after you and that you may live long in the land the Lord your God gives you for all time." Deuteronomy 4:39-40


I was playing the Music Machine: The Fruits of the Spirit CD in the car this weekend, and Carter was listening intently. He loves music, and he asks, "louder, please" if I don't have it on at a normal volume.


The CD was playing the part about the fruits of the Spirit, and the song was about love. The chorus says, "Isn't God good when He asks us just to love like He does. Isn't God good when He asks us just to be so kind." I was struck anew by the point that God's commands are a blessing, and He is so good to give us His rules and regulations. In this case, the command to love others is a direct blessing on our attitudes, the way people will see God reflected in our lives, and, often, how we will be treated back (though that isn't guaranteed in a sinful world). How much better do we feel when we choose love over bitterness or resentment?


So often, society views God's commandments as a list of boring restrictions. Even as Christians, we can see commands with which we struggle as tedious obstacles we have to master. Sinful flesh views righteous action as limited in fun, experience and freedom. Being followers of God, we know that living for the flesh is not freedom, but it is living as a slave to sin. We too easily lose the focus of God's goodness in what He asks. Knowing He is Holy and Omniscient, we need to realize His laws are for our benefit, and He is good in requiring us to follow Him and pusue His holiness.


"Oh, that their hearts would be inclined to fear me and keep all my commands always, so that it might go well with them and their children forever!" Deuteronomy 5:29


A toddler is a perfect example of how none of us, especially those who have not submitted to God as Lord of their lives, like being told what to do, even if it is for our good. My two year old is a fairly obedient child, but when he has chosen to battle his will against mine, he will say "no" to anything--even if I ask him if he wants a snack or a trip to the park. I chuckle when he gets his stubborn streak, knowing he really does want that snack or jaunt to the park, but his little sinful self is too deep in its own will to relent.


Are we digging in our heels or even following God's commands with merely a yawn and an attitude of indifference? We should be rejoicing at His guidelines for us! Our actions should reflect our attitude of thankfulness. We should be scouring the scripture and memorizing commands to memory. When we sin, we should recognize the danger of being off God's directive and immediately repent of our fleshly foolishness. Are we thanking God for His rules? God isn't asking us to be robots who just follow His commands. His commands are filled with His love and power. They are blessings for His people! Isn't God good when He asks us!


"but I gave them this command: Obey me, and I will be your God and you will be my people. Walk in all the ways I command you, that it may go well with you." Jeremiah 7:23

4 comments:

Shannon said...

Great post, Chiara. I wonder if God ever looks at us the way you look at Carter when he says no to the park! I'm sure we wouldn't fight God nearly as much if we really listened to what it was He is asking of us.

ShaWAna said...

My comment is pretty silly: Um, I LOVE the Music Machine! We had that record when we were growing up and our church even did the musical. I got to be Nancy! My Bro was the Conductor. I remember all of the songs too. Yeah! I am having fun remembering all of that. Yeah for Music Machine and all of those other records we had as kids that taught us God's truth through song! They don't make 'em like that anymore. =-)

Amy Kaylor Photography said...

How many more blessings would be mine if I had just obeyed God the FIRST time like I expect from my own children. Hmmmm...hurts thinking about it.

Ryan Hawley said...

Great post! We should delight in God's laws