Sunday, February 3, 2008

The Miss America Syndrome: Finding Contentment



Philippians 4:12, "I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want."


Our pastor recently gave our congregation an amazing sermon on contentment in a materialistic society. He used the passage of Ecclesiastes 5:10-20. You are able to hear and see the sermon if you click here.
The last point of his sermon--aim for contentment--struck me. It certainly is hard to not covet and want more "stuff" in South Orange County, but I would have to say I, personally, have more sinful areas to which this point applies.
Ladies, you may find me being brutally honest (and it might hit home for you too), but I realized that my lack of contentment is in the area of beauty and body image. At whatever weight I am at, I find myself unhappy. I watch my diet, work out often and still have a nice ten pounds to lose. When I see my peers eating whatever they choose and dropping their baby weight quickly to get back to their skinny pre-pregnancy bodies, I want to scream! This is jealousy and covetousness. Just recently, I've started looking at my face in the mirror to see some droops and wrinkles that weren't there before. I pull back my skin a bit and see the glowing 20-something year old I knew several years back. This is just plain pride and vanity. When I read magazines, I see the trendy clothes and beautiful dresses on the pages and wish I could buy those items AND look like the 15 year old model wearing them. My thoughts can become, "If only I were taller, skinnier, prettier, etc."


Pastor Mike told us that "coveting is a rebellion against the sovereignty of God." Indeed, God gives us each what we need in life, and He desires us to have a holy and content joy in what He has given us. We are to be thankful for everything! I Thessalonians 5:16-18 says, "Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." As an illustration to this point, Pastor Mike went on to explain that sometimes he craves a buttery, sizzling Ruth's Chris steak. However, on his thirty minute lunch break, he zips down to Taco Bell and gets a bean burrito. He has the choice to choke on every bite and bitterly wish he had the steak, or he can be grateful for the cheesy, beany, warm burrito in his hands. Though it isn't that steak, it is delicious and it feeds him. He can choose contentment.


That choice and fight resonates with me. I have found I have to actively fight my covetousness and choose contentment. I had to stop subscribing to my In Style magazine because I found myself dissatisfied with my wardrobe and self-image after reading it. When I find myself coveting another person's appearance, I have to count my blessings and remember that I have MANY things for which to be thankful--a thanks list is a great daily exercise. For example, I have my health, I certainly don't have a severe weight problem, and I have a husband who thinks I'm pretty. I have to stop wincing when I see old pictures of my face and body, when I wore a size 2 and the word "wrinkle" wasn't even in my vocabulary. Though I want to be clear that this is NOT an excuse to gain 20 pounds and quit taking care of myself. This also does not necessarily mean dieting, working out or trying to put myself together is wrong. It all comes back to my motives and my contentment. I want to be beautiful for my husband, and he tells me all the time that I am. Unfortunately, I tune out his affirmation and dismiss his compliments. When I care more about my own desires than the content attitude of my husband, I know I am in the realm of sin.



Pastor Mike ended his sermon with the point that we can aim for contentment by staying God-centered. When I focus on the beauty of a gentle spirit and an obedient heart, I won't worry about the decaying shell of flesh that holds me. When I am properly focused on Christ and His sacrifice that saved me from Hell, I won't ponder foolish desires found in the latest fashion magazine or the latest ideal weight that society dangles in front of me. I am being inwardly renewed each step of my Christian journey, and outwardly, though my flesh fights and hates it, I am wasting away. To read some excellent posts concerning beauty and body image, click here.



"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." II Corinthians 4: 16-18

7 comments:

Amy Kaylor Photography said...

Great post for me to read while dieting like mad! ;o) Thank you for the reminder that I am beautifully and wonderfully made...I speak it to my own children, but forget to apply it to myself sometimes. Loved the other blogs too!

Shannon said...

Great post, Chiara! It's amazing how the issue of contentment (or a lack thereof)can seep into every area of our lives. I noticed this the other day when I was stopped at a red light in my nearly nine year old car and found myself surrounded by seven (no joke) Lexus SUVs (my dream car). Thanks for your honesty.

Anonymous said...

I think you ALWAYS look beautiful. But don't sell your friends and family so short - we're not so shallow as to see any blemishes and wrinkles, even if they were there. Most of us are seeing only what a beautiful PERSON you are!

Drew & Erica said...

Thank you for that great reminder. I especially like your idea about having a daily thank you list. I'm going to try that this week.

Ryan Hawley said...

You are beautiful, babe, despite however you might be thinking each day.

But I think the most important thing Pastor Mike has told us is the value of eating at Taco Bell. What a great way to practice biblical contentment ... I expect all of you to begin eating more regularly at Taco Bell...

Laura said...

Thank you as always for all your wonderful posts. This is one to click on to Pastor Mike's message and listen to over and over again.

ShaWAna said...

Here I was, teary-eyed after reading the sweet comment that people left and reading the beginning of Ryan's message w/ a big "aaahhh!"...and then he pulls the Taco Bell card. HILARIOUS! I was actually thinking of you guys when Mike gave that illustration just as I think of my Bro' when Mike brings up Costco. I love it! Thanks for the "aaaah" factor and the laugh!