Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Respectable Sins


I am currently reading Respectable Sins: Confronting the Sins we Tolerate, by Jerry Bridges. This is the same author who wrote The Pursuit of Holiness, another amazing read. After beginning with chapters on sin and ways to deal with sin, Mr. Bridges has tackled the error of ungodliness, anxiety and frustration, discontent, unthankfulness, pride and selfishness. I still have to read the upcoming chapters on lack of self-control, anger, impatience and irritability, judgmentalism, envy and jealousy, sin in speech, and worldliness.

The theme of this book is to have Christians take a deep look at all sin, especially those wrongs that society, and even a church body, can mistakenly tolerate. We harshly condemn an adulterer, but we tsk, tsk a person who is negative or prideful.

I am finding great motivation in this book. My only slight disappointment is that Mr. Bridges covers so many topics, he just grabs my attention and begins to peel layers in a particular area, only to move into another chapter on another sin. Each sin truly could have its own book in order to adequately cover the issues and Biblical truths surrounding it. I found The Pursuit of Holiness to be extremely inspiring, and, if you could read only one, I would recommend that book over this one. However, there are many excellent points to absorb in Respectable Sins, so I would still recommend reading it AFTER you read the other. To be fair, it is an amazing and Biblical overview of many tolerated sins.

The chapter on selfishness spoke to me, as Mr. Bridges pointed out that it is a flaw we readily see in others but rarely recognize in ourselves. He turns to four particular areas of selfishness: interests, time, money and inconsiderateness. I was able to take this chapter, learn some application and truly measure myself against what God expects. I love that the author challenges the reader to ask your spouse or family member in what area you are selfish and need to grow. Ouch! What a challenge, and, if lovingly conducted, what a productive time of repentance and sanctification.

We all have "respectable sins" we purposely overlook and sweep under the rug. This book reminds us that there is no sliding scale of morality, only the perfect holiness of our God. We must take the time and energy to expose all sin and change until we clearly reflect our Heavenly Father.

5 comments:

Shannon said...

Chiara: Great review of the book. I think I'll add both of those books to my to read list. I've heard a lot about Jerry Bridges, but I've never read him before. Thanks for playing along with my book post :)

Rebecca Millsap said...

This book sounds like a good read! I was just talking with Robby about how God views ALL sin the same. We tend to minimize sin so often and need to realize God hates ALL sins. Thanks for the book synopsis!

Amy Kaylor Photography said...

It's so easy to justify our actions and thoughts isn't it? Ugh...another great reminder. I'm currently reading Intimate Issues and talk about an eye opener. Wish I had read this one right after I got married..not 9 years later. ;o))

Ryan Hawley said...

Sounds like a great book. We all need the reminder to take ALL sin a little more seriously.

Rebecca Millsap said...

SO, when do you find time to read? Do you schedule it in during the day or, read at night with Ryan? I want to start reading BOOKS! :) Let me rephrase, I'd like to start reading A book! ;)