Thursday, February 7, 2008

This is the Day That the Lord Has Made



"This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be
glad in it."

If you count layover time, Ryan and I arrived in the Bahamas after 7 hours of traveling on a red eye flight. We left LAX on a midnight flight, stayed two hours in Atlanta and arrived the next morning in Nassau. Needless to say, I was groggy, disoriented and excited for our vacation all at once. As we were going through Bahamian customs, the female officer checking our passports started singing "This is the Day that the Lord has Made" from beginning to end. She had a clear, beautiful voice, and she smiled the whole time she sang. Immediately, my sluggish walk and red eyes were renewed with the reminder that God made this day and everything we encounter in it.

I hadn't heard that sweet melody in quite awhile, but I am so thankful God had me hear it again. It has resonated in my mind for over a week, reminding me of God's sovereignty as I struggle through a cough, fever and cold this week; highlighting God's blessings as I play with my nearly two year old son; and giving me extra patience in a battle against life's daily inconveniences and mishaps.

Each day is a wonderful gift from our loving Creator. Whether it is a day in the darkest valley or one of those days you feel like you could burst with joy, it is the day God made specifically for you. He wants us to rejoice in it, for He has allowed it for our good. The trials will mold us more closely into His perfect, holy image; and the blessings are reminders of His amazing love.

Whatever type of day you are facing, rejoice in it and be glad. God made this day for you!

4 comments:

Ryan Hawley said...

Great point. There are so many wonderful things God gives us in each of our days. But how often do we just zoom right through our day and never take time to notice or appreciate them?

Shannon said...

Thanks for the reminder, Chiara. Occassionally I have things on my calendar that I dread doing. If I took on this perspective, I would never dread any day. Each day is a gift from the Lord--this post really puts that in perspective!

Amy Kaylor Photography said...

Amen sista! God is good..all the time. We just find it far easier to complain than it is to praise God for His goodness and gifts of live each day.

Drew & Erica said...

This was perfect for me to read on a Monday. There are so many things to be thankful for each day, even a long workday on a Monday :)